Learning the Bicycle

This was an old bit of writing dated: April 21, 2010.  Fast forward to today, I decided to include into this blog, as it is a piece of myself.  And yes, in terms of memory lane, I went as far back as my childhood life in the Philippines.  This was before 1986.

Learning the Bicycle

Here is a story of how I learned to ride a bike, and the pattern it had set me for life.  Yet, only recently, I had realized this pattern.

My parents were buying a bicycle for my sister.  As for me, I was outright refusing a bicycle.  Yet, regrettably, it was I, not my sister, who ened up riding that bike more often.  Or at least, it appeared that way in my memory.  With the training wheels on, I rode it where ever I could.  Eventually, one or both of the training wheels would break.  If only one broke, then I still would ride it.  In the case of both, then I'd wait (or ask) for them to be replaced.

One day, my neighbor decided to help me.  Why?  I'll never know.  On this day, she held the seat of the bicycle and had me ride it.  I pedaled and pedaled.  Then when I was fast enough, she let go, and I kept on going.  I did not fall.  I simply continued to ride.  Also, I remembered turning my head back to look at her as she let go.  It felt as if I was launching from a launchpad.

Since then, I kept riding on two wheels - with no training wheels.

So what does this all mean?

As I've looked through various courses in my life, this is how many of my paths have started.  Someone else sees my path and gets me started.  From there, I keep going until some end is reached.

However, the time has come for that "someone else" to become "myself".  I cannot expect "someone else" to always be there when I need that "push".  Too much time has been lost for that.

This is one of my keys.

Again fast foward to today, I had lost even more time.  However, my time had been better spent.  To relate this article to mahjong, some personal development happened with my involvement with mahjong.  As I noted before, I like myself; and mahjong has been a big part of that.  It is a culmination of interaction with people as well as abiding by the rules and etiquette of the game.

For that, I am generally thankful.

With that said though, I live a very stagnant life losing even more time.  I still live on some metaphorical training wheels and have been afraid to move forward without them.  Going forward, I'll be relying on memory of this story as a template for my own need.  In order to go forward and go where I need to be, I need this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Majsoul Influential Player Mark

My First "Houou" Game: Review 1

Banned from Mahjong Soul Discord