Mahjong Enjoyment Test

Here is a litmus test in the form of just one question to determine if you truly enjoy mahjong:

Can you take a 4th in a game, and still look back at the game fondly?

If yes, then you truly enjoyed the game and mahjong overall.

Every mahjong player has lost a chunk of games.  Even the good players have produced a loss rate (4th place) of 20% or more.  In general, losing is not fun.  It's even worse when there is a string of them.  However, a game can be played for pure enjoyment regardless of result.


For example, here is a kazoe yakuman - just note the dora and uradora indicators.  I dealt the 3pin right into it, thinking that I can set up my hand and hit him for houtei.  Yes, that was my plan.  It did not work.

I remember him saying, "Ron.  48."

My immediate reply as I look at the hand, "Hey, that doesn't look like it's worth 4800."

Then he repeated, "48,000."

"Oh," I said.

Then I laugh.  Even now, I can think back to that game and remember how unusual the hanchan was, as he pulled haitei tsumo, called double riichi, and then haitei tsumo again in three consecutive hands.  I tried to contribute to that trend with a houtei snipe only to get burned by that hand.  Obviously, I did not win that game.  I flat out lost, but so what?  I had fun.

It's a fine memory of a friend, who has returned back to Japan just a few weeks ago.  So, I will always remember this game.

Do you have any games played like that?  You lost but you still walked away happy.  Just think back and remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Majsoul Influential Player Mark

My First "Houou" Game: Review 1

Banned from Mahjong Soul Discord