Connect Kan Discord

By sheer luck, I managed to find a completely new group of online mahjong players.  Actually, I was summoned there.  Together, we formed a group centered on the mahjong meme: Connect Kan.  The name is a general mockery of the whole "kan" calling found in the lower levels of Majsoul.  One member spent the 60 jade (an in-game currency) to create a tournament lobby.  Naturally, we found ourselves wanting to find a name for the lobby.  So, we called it "Connect Kan".  An odd circumstance forced us to create a new Discord; and we kept the name.  It's catchy!

Connect Kan meme
How did I find this group?

Probably in relation with the Catfood Bowl tournament in June, one user decided to go ahead and gather up some Majsoul players into a Discord to run tournament play on his own.  He called it the "Beer League".  The reason became obvious, when I finally got to play in one.  These were "pick up tournaments", where for lack of formality were called upon within hours of play.  Essentially, it was casual tournament play mixed with some voice chat.  The host himself was drinking beer during these events.  At the time, the discord was called "Unofficial Majsoul Tournaments".

On the evening of June 15, I was waking up from a nap; and I checked my Discord messages.  Apparently, they were running a tournament session and needed a 12th player.  So, I got up immediately from bed and filled in that spot.  Just like that, I went ahead and won the tournament session.

From there, I find a group of enthusiastic mahjong players.  A good number of them recentaly started riichi mahjong via Majsoul EN.  They each have their different backgrounds.  Some have played before either via Tenhou.net or other forms of mahjong.  Frequently, they've held sessions of friendly games via Majsoul with some voice chat.  Essentially, this was online club play similar to Tenhou Tuesday, except it was far more frequent.

The purchase of a tournament lobby managed to alter the dynamic of the group, as the direction of the group headed towards it.  Beforehand, these tournaments were casually held in friendlies.  With the support of a spreadsheet, the originator was able to operate the tournaments.  Eventually, we find ourselves drifting to the tournament lobby.  Once in a while, we'll make use of the lobby to play with settings not offered via friendly mode.  After all, jade was spent on it; and it was set it to the maximum duration.  We might as well use it.

During our own rendition of the Catfood Bowl tournament, the original server host deleted the group's original Discord server.  At the time, we were using voice chat to enjoy the games; and naturally, things went silent.  That prompted me to handle the crisis with the swift creation of a new Discord server midgame.  Just like that, we have our own server.

So, I host the current Discord for the group; and I named the current lobby hostess as the second admin in return for tourney lobby access.  For the most part, this became the group's new online mahjong community.  Despite this development, I have not abandoned the old Mahjong Discord server.  Eventually, I'll look to return there.  When?  This notion will be saved for another blog entry.  I do not know at this point.  As the group got bigger, it became necessary to name a third admin.

At least six times this summer, I did take a peek in there.  Sometimes, I'll throw some ideas to the other Mahjong Dicord admins.  Some of the ideas in Connect Kan could be helpful over there; some might not.

In the meantime, we've been running tournament play on our own here and there.  The current tourney lobby expired on September 17.  On the eve of National Mahjong Day (Aug 1), I purchased some Majsoul jade myself.  I saved enough to fund tournament lobbies with three month durations.  Hopefully, this will be the case for three years to come, as I have 800 left.  I could spread this activity beyond this discord server.  Moving forward, we shall see.

Season 1 wrapped up with the 2019 Connect Kan Season 1 Championship.  We celebrated the end of this first tournament lobby, and we will move forward into the next one, among other things mahjong related.

Like a game of mahjong, we won't know what happens next.  We only know what we have now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Majsoul Influential Player Mark

My First "Houou" Game: Review 1

Banned from Mahjong Soul Discord