2019 Los Angeles Saikouisen Pro Tournament Overview

The 2019 Los Angeles Saikouisen Pro Tournament was on Labor Day weekend (Aug 31-Sep 1).  For me, it was four days of automatic table play with LAPOM's tables.  With the event in the past, I can look back on this tournament, just like all the others.  As always, there had been some interesting moments.  Due to the recency of this tournament, I have this event split into five articles, counting this one.

I initially had a general policy to not attend any mahjong tournament for 2019, unless it was a convenient road trip.  After a deep talk with family on my Vegas trip earlier this year, I could not justify my attendance, that involved flights.  It was a matter of expense.  I did check Chicago to Los Angeles flights and prices were reasonable.  So, attendance came to within reason.  In the end, I became compelled to go via Facebook private message.  Eventually, I became convinced to attend; so I did.

With that said, this is my general allowance for long tournament travel in a while.  Though, I have a certain Colorado trip lined up, due to a promise made 10 years ago.

The format:
  • Six hanchan round robin, followed by two hanchan semifinal and two hanchan final.
  • With the usage of autotables, it was possible to squeeze six hanchan for a tournament day, with plenty of time to spare after.
Summary: (Each day gets an article)
  1. Day 0: Arrival and freeplay
  2. Day 1: Tournament Day 1 (round robin) and dinner session
  3. Day 2: Tournament Day 2 (semifinal and final)
  4. Day 3: Freeplay and departure
Weeks going in:

I did not sign up for this tournament until the beginning of the month.  When the first announcement came, I was iffy about even considering going.  Mahjong tournament travel is expensive.  If I consider flight, hotel, entry fee, food, etc., I spent roughly over $900 on this trip.  This one would be my seventh travel tournament, where travel time is greater than four hours driving.  Regardless, I reserved my plane ticket two weeks prior to the event.  My hotel stay was booked just three days before flying.  When I saw the names of the participants via the above image, I finally came to terms with it.  I am going.


Regardless, I have an odd weakness when to comes to flying, as I generally prepare for the worst, even if the odds of dying from a flight is less than scoring suukantsu.  My pre-flight routine is as is, and eventually, I was on my way.  Then I get my four days of mahjong at LAPOM; and I return home.

After everything, this event goes into my mahjong history.

Summary:

Going into this tournament, I had my trepidation as noted earlier primarily pointing to cost and timing.  Even now, I'd still complain about it.  Roughly, this trip cost me around $900.  The bulk came in the cost of flight and hotel stay.  The rest went to food and the tournament fee.

In the end, it was a worthwhile trip for a number of reasons.  I finished with a better than expected tournament outing.  I was able to observe a typical LAPOM day.  The conversations and discussions with various mahjong players throughout the weekend were insightful.  As with all mahjong trips, I was got to play real tile mahjong with completely new people and other players met via previous trips.

At the end of everything, I went home satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Majsoul Influential Player Mark

My First "Houou" Game: Review 1

Banned from Mahjong Soul Discord