Playstyle Every 100 Games or So

On my main account in Tenhou.net, I have been taking screenshots of my stats from my main account: KyuuAA.  I tried my best to capture my numbers every 100 games, but I have forgotten to do so after each cycle.  Instead, extra games were played before I realize the next 100 was reached.  However, that is acceptable, as it is unreasonable for me to expect every 100 games to be noted.

As I waved up and down along the Tenhou ladder scale, my statistics in general pretty much stayed even throughout.  The interesting note falls to my riichi rate which steadily increased.   Four statistical trains point to play style.  In the article "Tina's Tactics #3", she cited the late Kojima-sensei pointing to these numbers tied to play style:
  • 放銃率 (Houjuu ritsu) – Deal in rate %
  • 和了率 (Houra ritsu) – Hand win rate %
  • 副露率 (Fuuro ritsu) – Call rate %
  • 立直率 (Riichi ritsu) – Riichi rate %
What do my numbers show?

My deal in rate has been hovering above 14%.  I briefly dropped below 14%, but throghout my history, I have been above 14%, and I'm actually headed towards 15%.  My tokujou play over the past year had been leaning more towards attack than defense.  I can defend; but given the choice between attack and defend, then I'd choose attack.  However, my decline has trended more towards losses.  Therefore, my lean towards attack has been too much.  That needs to go down.

My hand win rate has been steady around 21% with little to no signs of increasing.  This is too low and ironically marked as "defensive".  To simply put, I am not winning enough hands.  The deal in rate should tie into this, as deal ins decrease my ability to win hands in the first place.

My call rate has been steady around 31%.  This puts my call rate below average.  My call tendencies stem towards yakuhai and dora, when convenient.  Naturally, I'd aim for keishiki tenpai when necessary.  In my opinion, a hand worth 3900 or more is a good threshold for calling.  As for the timing, I'd lean against early calling within the first six turns, unless the hand dictates it.  An open hand of mangan or more is worth pushing.

My riichi rate is nearing 17% and climbing.  This comes to no surprise as riichi itself is an attacking move.  From my first tokujou game, I learned one thing: pinfu tsumo is tragic without riichi.  Without riichi, a win by tsumo leaves points to the other players, which could have been mine.  Of course, this does not imply to call riichi on everything.  Some situations do not require riichi.  This will be left as another topic for another day.

Now, by comparison, my numbers on my KyuuCC speed run ranking account showed these numbers across 245 games:
  • Deal in rate (15.2%)
  • Hand win rate (23.3%)
  • Call rate (31.2%)
  • Riichi rate (20.2%)
These were numbers when I was playing well, as my placement rate at first showed at 30.2% while the rate of fourths was at 21.2%.  In other words, I was winning on those numbers.  This has been my play style all along.  However, it is simply sad to see a generally losing trend this past year.

For a more recent sample, I can turn to my English Majsoul account.  By the time of my Lenten promise, I had played 392 games.  My account had fared well until I suffered two deranking runs in the Jade lobby.  Currently my numbers are as follows:
  • Deal in rate (14.9%)
  • Hand win rate (22.4%)
  • Call rate (32.4%)
  • Riichi rate (19.7%)
So for the most part, my numbers have been quite consistent in this regard.  Unlike my main account, these newer numbers are more reflective to my current mahjong. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Majsoul Influential Player Mark

My First "Houou" Game: Review 1

Banned from Mahjong Soul Discord